The Poindexter Family Reunion
Image of tall masted ships tied to a dock during colonial times.
June 12 - 15, 2008
Williamsburg, Virginia

 Reunion 2008 Home Page      Agenda & Events Calendar     Registration     Hotel Info      Directions & Maps      About the Area      For the Kids

 

Go to the Reunion Home Page, meet your host.

 

The Reunion Agenda, what's happening and when.

 

Registration Information and Form

 

Reunion Hotel Information, special rates and directions.

 

Directions to the Area

 

History of the area, side trips, things to do while here.

 

Fun things for the Kids at the Reunion and around the area!

 

 

Bruton Parish Church

Sunday Service at 9am

Meet in the hotel lobby by 8:30am to car pool to the church for Sunday service.

Our immigrant George Poindexter served on the Bruton Parish Church vestry during the time the vestry was involved in the planning and construction of the original church building.  Located in the current church building is a bronze plaque dedicated to the fist vestry, listing their names. George Poyndexter is included, note the clerk of the vestry spelled Poindexter with a “y”, which was not uncommon during this time period.

About the church:

After Middle Plantation, between the York and James Rivers, was "laid out and paled in" in 1633, a parish with the same name was established. Colonists soon built a wooden church, but no one knows when or where. 

In 1644, Harrop Parish in James City County became active, and it united with Middle Plantation Parish in 1658 to form Middletown Parish. Still more consolidation followed in 1674 when Marston Parish (1654) in York County merged with Middletown Parish to form Bruton Parish. The name honored the prominent Ludwell family and Governor Sir William Berkeley, whose ancestral homes were at Bruton in County Somerset, England. 

George's church building was constructed of wooden frame. The building we will be receiving service in was built in In 1706 when the vestry began considering building a larger church after the captital was moved from Jamestown to Middle Plantation (which was then renamed to Williamsburg). Governor Alexander Spotswood drafted plans for the structure: a cruciform-shaped church (the first in Virginia) 75 feet long, 28 feet wide, with 19 foot long transepts (wings.)

Learn more about the long and colorful history of this old parish church of Virginia on its web site.

 

Return to the Reunion Agenda

 

 

 

 |   Reunion 2008 Home Page   |   Agenda & Events Calendar   |   Registration  |
 |   Hotel Info   |  Directions & Maps   |   About the Area   |   For the Kids   |

 

All Rights Reserved, Poindexter Descendants Association
www.poindexterfamily.org

Some images of the Williamsburg area are used with permission of and provided by
Greater Williamsburg Chamber & Tourism Alliance at www.visitwilliamsburg.com

Other images and local hotel and tour coordination by Colonial Connections